The Community Emergency and Engagement (C2E) Committees, an amalgamation of the former Emergency Preparedness (EP) Group and Civil Defence Executive Committees (CDEC), are the community EP units formed in each constituency. They help strengthen community resilience.
During peace time, C2E Committees develop and maintain the Community EP plans, structures and systems. They organise exercises and EP activities to stay prepared and ensure operational readiness during emergencies. The C2E Committees also partner various government emergency authorities to educate public about Community EP.
During times of emergency, C2E Committees coordinate community resources and grassroots’ emergency response efforts. Together with other grassroots organisations, they help emergency authorities defuse tension and restore public confidence and normalcy by disseminating critical information and collecting feedback.
CERT stands for Community Emergency Response Team. CERT is an organised group of volunteers specially trained to respond to an emergency and assist the community in the recovery process. CERT strengthens the emergency response capabilities of the local community as its members are able to render basic first aid, evacuation and crowd control before as well as after the emergency authorities arrive
First formed in 2004 as part of the Residents’ Committees and Neighbourhood Committees to support the EP Group and CDEC, CERT members are made up of grassroots leaders and residents who stay in the vicinity.
Role of a CERT member
- Help the community respond to and recover from emergencies
- Disseminate critical information to residents
- Work together with constituency emergency units to organise EP days and other EP programmes for residents
- Help identify residents requiring special assistance during emergencies
- CPR+AED Training (with 2 years certification)
- Standard First Aid Training (with 2 years certification)
- Managing Crisis Behaviour Workshop
- Community Mediation Workshop
- Community Vigilance Workshop
To volunteer as a CERT member, please sign up via the Registration Form