Chingay Parade 2023 Brings Together More Than 3,000 Youths to Co Create and Bond
Chingay Parade 2023 Brings Together More Than 3,000 Youths to Co-Create and Bond While Keeping The People’s Parade Young and Relevant
A platform for youth to showcase their talents, engage with local communities and shape the parade’s future
Get ready for a multi-sensory and fun experience at Chingay Parade 2023, happening on 3 and 4 February 2023 at F1 Pit Building. Returning as a physical parade after two years of hybrid and digital editions, Chingay 2023 will again deliver a spectacular display of imagination and creativity infused with youthful elements.
2. Chingay 2023 will see more than 3,000 young people involved in the performances and activities. Co-created with youths, the community art spaces - where art pieces speak of creative energies and dreams - will add to the festive atmosphere of the parade.
Upping the Parade’s hip quotient
3. Taking centre stage will be a unique showpiece - Container Art Installation made up of 28 20-footer and 40-footer containers, designed and conceptualised by Sam Lo. Standing 18 metres high, and spanning over 60 metres, this Container Art Installation will be co-created by 480 youths together with Sam Lo. The finished artwork will serve as the performance backdrop for Chingay 2023. It is the largest-ever Community Art installation at the Chingay parade.
4. The youths will be using spray paint to express their vision of Embrace Tomorrow while giving a contemporary touch to the parade. The artwork depicts the Chingay performer surrounded by all different elements that are iconic to Chingay like cultural motifs, costumes, and props. It also features a web of hands to symbolise the diverse community coming together to celebrate Chingay and our uniquely Singaporean culture. The performer is dancing towards the sun which represents a new beginning. It reminds us to remain forward-looking and resilient, even as we overcome challenging times together as a nation.
Enhancing the Chingay experience
5. Youths also express their passion, talent, and aspirations in the form of Rabbits ART Venture, signifying a future-focused Singapore. Year of the Rabbit brings with it a renewed sense of vigour and rejuvenated energy, ready and eager to take on the future. Over 2,000 students from eight schools and institutions with community artists will use their imagination and creativity to decorate the “Chingay Rabbit” in various sizes based on the theme, “Future Singapore”. The eight schools and institutions that are involved are Singapore Polytechnic, ITE College East, Yuhua Secondary School, Boon Lay Primary School, New Town Primary School, Xingnan Primary School, Zhangde Primary School, and Yuvabharathi International School Singapore. Participants of each school or institution are given the freedom to adorn these cardboard “Chingay Rabbits”.
6. The concept idea for New Town Primary School’s Rabbits ART-Venture is ‘Avant-Garde Space City.’ Under the guidance of community artist Mr Tay Swee Siong, 80 students built and designed about 266 “Chingay Rabbits” of different backgrounds coming together to create and realise the mission of building a new spacecraft.
7. 11-year-old Gokulram Nimalan, who had participated in the Chingay50 National Education Programme was excited to be part of Chingay 2023. As a vice-chairperson of the New Town Primary School’s Robotics Club, Gokulram incorporated simple mechanics into the rabbits with the help of his peers. They created a mechanism that will allow the rabbit to make a particular sound whenever someone walks past the art piece. Gokulram said: “Incorporating technology into the “Chingay Rabbit” aligns with the Chingay theme of ‘Embrace Tomorrow’. We need to prepare ourselves for a future driven by technology.” It will be free admission for the public to view the Rabbits ART-Venture and Container Art Installation at the F1 Pit Building.
Providing a platform for local budding talents
8. As a celebration for people of all races and ages, Chingay 2023 continues to be a platform to showcase young local budding talents such as “We’ve Got Talent!” (WGT) and D:2 (Dynamic: Diversity) Dance Competition. The Chingay Community Star 2023 and winning dance groups of the D:2 Dance Competition 2023 will be performing in front of a live audience at the F1 Pit Building and Chingay@Heartlands.
9. As a lead-up to Chingay 2023, WGT! 2023 participants performed at “Hype The Street”, an initiative spearheaded by the local Community Arts & Culture Club (CACC) with the aim to celebrate the diverse community talents while bringing cheer to others in the heartland. The event was held at five locations island-wide from 26 November to 4 December 2022 with each location featuring about five to six individuals/groups.
10. The Lesslars family took part in the WGT! 2023 with an original song entitled All I Need. The lyrics were written by the children, 14-year-old Camille and 12-year-old drummer Craigston while the parents, Chris and Monica worked on the music. As a participant of the WGT! 2023, they were given the opportunity to display their skills and talent at “Hype The Street” at One Punggol on 4 December 2022. Being able to perform as a family at the event is a dream come true for the Lesslars as it allows them to share their love for music with the public.
11. For more and the latest information on Chingay 2023 Parade, visit https://www.chingay.gov.sg, Chingay Facebook @ChingayParadeSG, and Instagram @chingayparadesg.